Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Lift Each Other Up!

January 15, 2007
Lift Each Other Up!


Bear one another’s burdens, and thus fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and Pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James 5:16

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3

**** ****
You know it’s coming. You’ve seen it before. You have prepared for it in the past, but that doesn’t seem to work. “IT” is the unavoidable “Post Holiday Blues” or PHB for short. For some of us PHB strikes on Christmas Day right after the presents are opened. For others like me, PHB sets in after the last red storage tub marked “Christmas Decos” is hoisted into the attic. The realization that the holidays have ended is emotionally overwhelming. In the past I looked upon the dreaded PHB like Custer’s Last Stand, knowing that I would be defeated. But this year I stumbled upon the cure. And the cure had been there all along.

While waiting in a humongous post-holiday line at a major store, I happened to hear a conversation between two men also waiting to make a purchase. The subject of their conversation, though, wasn’t about sales, electronics, the hustle and bustle, or even the weather. One man was exclaiming to the other how a mutual acquaintance had tried to get the attention of a young lady at work, and how she was ignoring the man’s advances. The two in line agreed it was terrible that the young lady shunned the man, but that it would probably not work out since she was a “church” girl and each was married.

What? I was angry that people would think this way and was ready to pray that a couple of lightning bolts headed toward these two guys! But what I did was lift up this young lady in support in prayer. Right there in line I silently asked the Lord to bless this person for her steadfastness and to give her strength to resist what is sinful.

Today’s verses address “what”, “how”, and “the result of.” Combined we see a flowing plan of “sadness to gladness.” Out of Post Holiday Blues we may have all heaven has to offer through lifting another sister or brother in Christ up in prayer.

After my silent prayer I noticed how energized I felt. I was glad to have been in that line so I could pray for that young lady. Plus, I hoped to get another opportunity to lift another’s trials to the Lord. Perhaps that will happen when I stand in line to return yet ANOTHER Christmas gift!

Thank you, Lord for making your Word meaningful to my life. I was “poor in spirit” concerning the end of the holidays, yet you showed me how to spread blessings. Today, please show me other opportunities to lift up my brothers and sisters, and in that, accomplish much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home