Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Building Up Of The Body

July 13, 2005
The Building Up Of The Body
Ephesians 4:11-16

And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure to the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

**** ****
One Sunday many years ago one of my daughters appeared in the kitchen with a question. “Where’s Daddy?” By her appearance I could see that something was amiss since her dress bow wasn’t tied and she was missing a shoe. Thinking that I was needed to remedy both problems I asked, “What for?” “I need him to tie my dress.” Though a little hurt, I directed my daughter to my husband at the computer in the family room.

As she left the kitchen she added, “Mommy, can you find my shoe?” Well, at least I’m good for something I thought. I assumed that I would be asked to tie the dress bow and my husband would be needed to find the shoe. But, my daughter knew our strengths. I was very good at finding lost things in the house and my Eagle Boy Scout husband could tie wonderful looking bows. So together, each doing his appropriate task, the job got done.

This incident illustrates verses 11 and 12 of our text. Though we are to be ready at all times to the will of the Father, he has equipped each of us for special work. As a matter of fact, most of us are aware of this. The problem lies in realizing, uplifting, and praying for someone else’s work. Think about it. How often do you consider those in ministries that aren’t familiar or pleasant to you?

Today, let us focus some time in prayer for the work of saints in areas that we are not connected with. Pray for strength for the saints that faithfully clean the church building week after week. Pray for wisdom for the scientists that witnesses to their colleagues. Send an uplifting email to the church secretary who must usually be the hearer and bearer of sad news. Sunday, hug that person you don’t know, but sense they are carrying a heavy burden. “As a result … we are to grow up in all aspect into Him, …held together by that which every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, cause the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

Hmm...I think it's just that it's easier to get you to look for shoes, Mom! :D

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home