Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, October 04, 2010

Lessons From the Barbecue Grill

First published September 29, 2010 (Happy Birthday Nina!)


When I was recuperating from knee surgery years ago, I watched lots of cooking shows on the television. One in particular was called Barbecue University with host Steven Raichlen (www.bbqu.net). He showed amazing grilling techniques and tips, making your mouth water more minute by minute. He frequently referred to his Three Essential Rules for Great Grilling. As we are in the thick of summer outdoor cooking, these rules interestingly parallel how we might view doing work for the Kingdom.

1. (Keep it hot) Do you have a burning desire to do what the Lord requires of you? Pray that your fervor to tell others about Christ does not fizzle out. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Romans 12:11

2. (Keep it clean) Do you often re-examine your Christian walk? Are there areas in your life that need attention? Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you – unless, of course, you fail the test? 2 Corinthians 13:5

3. (Keep it Oiled) Yes oiled! Are you workable, pliable, teachable? So, you aren’t into doing menial work? Well, guess again. Show me your way, O Lord, teach me your paths. Psalm 25:4 Ask the Holy Spirit to open your mind and heart to learn (or re-learn) what the Lord wants of you.
**** ****
Thank you Lord, for the simple things that remind me of your will in my life. Help me to be zealous to be under your guidance, in communion with You to know when I stray, and flexible to joyfully do what you want me to do. I pray this in the name of your son, Jesus Christ, amen.

Copyright 2010 Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home