Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Identity Crisis

First Published May 24, 2010


Luke 12:7
Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

So, I was pushing the shopping cart down a crowded aisle of the super market when a little girl, who was standing next to another cart, held up a bag of snacks to a woman and asked, "Mom?" Well, without hesitation, the woman along with two of us ladies nearby replied, "Yes?"

The pregnant pause and the shocked gaze by the little girl was a clear indication that she didn't expect a response in stereo. The newly founded trio probably would have continued our synchronized dialogue with, "That will spoil your dinner," but instead, the little girl's mother had a solo. "They are moms too." Gee, there are countless ladies in the world who answer to "Mom." Where's my identity?

When I think about the vastness of the world and the number of people in it, it's hard to fathom how God could possibly be able to have an individual name for little old me. I'm just one out of over one hundred billion people who have walked on the earth.

The Jews of Biblical times knew of the mighty power of Jehovah God. He spoke directly to man by name, and in many occasions he bestowed miraculous abilities. Moses, Abraham, David, Daniel, and others had a direct link to God verbally. Then God was silent for 400 hundred years. The Jews of Jesus' time probably believed the stories of the past, of God's intimate communications with man, but the Gentiles had no such history. Hence, I believe that Luke's record of Jesus' words is very meaningful.

There are over 100,000 strands of hair on a human head and God has accounted for each one on each of us! My identity is strengthened through the assurance that He knows me individually, and that His love for me has no bounds. Wow!

Oh, got to scoot. I heard someone call, "Mom!"

Copyright 2010 Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home