Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Comfort Food

First Published January 6, 2010

Deuteronomy 8:3
And He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord.”
**** ****
Recently my church held a craft faire and bake sale called Harvest of Talents (or H.O.T.) to raise funds to support needy families in the community. I had not been to this type of event in over 15 years, so I was very excited with anticipation. Wow! I was not disappointed. There were all sorts of craft items, lovingly made by the church members. Beautiful colorful displays of decorations, jewelry, toys and clothes filled the sale area of the auditorium. And then there was the bake sale. The aromas were enchanting, but I kept my distance. I purchased the yummy homemade breakfast cinnamon roll and thought that was enough. Then my dear husband said that the bake sale included pies, cakes, and fudge. Bingo!

When I was a little girl, my mother used take us kids to a Sees’ Candies ® in Hillsdale Shopping Center in northern California. Her favorite candy was peanut brittle, and my favorite candy was fudge. I remember the store lady dressed in her nice crisp white and black uniform cutting the fudge into portions and neatly arranging them in the candy box. It seemed like hours passed before I got my piece. The look. The smell. The texture. The taste. Ah! The happiness. The comfort.

In chapter 8 of Deuteronomy Moses recalls the 40 years of wandering in the desert, the Israelites learning to trust and rely on God, and the miraculous ways he provided for the people. Particularly in today’s verse we see that Moses stresses both the literal and metaphorical meaning of bread. God’s comfort food is His word. It 1) supplies nourishment (Isaiah 36:16), 2) is everlasting (Matthew26:26), 3) satisfies (Matthew 14), 4) instituted the promise of salvation (Luke 24:30), 5) is the Bread of Life (John 6:4), and 6) unites (Acts 2:46). Ah! Do you sense the comfort when you digest the Word of God? Excuse me while I have another helping!
**** ****
Psalms 22:26
The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied;
Those who seek Him will praise the Lord.
Let your heart live forever!

copyright 2010, Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home