Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Passing the Buck

First Published November 23, 2009

Acts 20:35
In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that he Himself said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

**** ****
Just the other day I was in line to pay for items at the 99CentOnly Store ®. A little boy in front of me had a few items: a bag of apples, a container of juice, a bag of chips, and a package of cookies. Not realizing he was charged with added tax and CRV (California Redemption Value), he looked genuinely shocked when the checker announced that his bill was well over $4. The boy dug into his pockets with no success and uttered a nervous “uh.” I took out a quarter, handed it to the boy and said, “Only if you help someone else, sometime.” “Okay. Thanks lady,” he replied. Shyly he grabbed his bags and turned one more time my direction with a “Thank you.”

Giving thanks is not just bowing our heads and acknowledging God’s hand in our life. It also means giving as evidence of thankfulness. This attitude allows for blessings to abound. The key here is that giving isn’t necessarily “passing the buck.” We might be called to pass the $10 bucks, pass the sweater, pass the hug, or pass the meal. This Thanksgiving let us pray for a creative and unique way to give thanks. Watch and enjoy.

**** ****
Dear Lord, I pray that I can find more ways to give thanks. Help me to discern which direction I need to “pass the buck” that will glorify you. I thank you God for your Son, Jesus who died on the cross. Amen. And, amen.

Copyright 2009 Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home