Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Big Blessings of Thankfulness

First Published November 25, 2009


Thanksgiving is one of the most recognized holidays in the United States. People go for huge sales, bake, decorate, visit with friends and family, and …give thanks.

Typically we recap all the wonderful blessings that have transpired over the year along with mentioning the people who have been God’s agents in delivering these blessings. But sometimes it’s worth it to reiterate an ongoing blessing. It’s the type of blessing that borders on a miracle.

When I was pregnant with cancer, many people prayed for me, the baby, Jeff and the girls. Missionary friends Daniel and Beverley put us on their prayer chain, sending out the message to remote tribes in Thailand and Burma (Myanmar). In one communiqué from them we learned that there was a particular lady who had committed my needs to prayer. Daily. For the rest of her life.

I was stunned. A woman thousands of miles away, without a name, separated by countries, separated by language, separated by cultures, separated by generations was praying for me. Somehow she was to be a special person, talking to the Lord, presenting my needs to Him.

And that’s what I remember. This woman’s consistent tiny prayers have grown to become big blessings. Even now, 20 years later, I am deeply thankful for the comfort, strength, and encouragement God gave me through the faithfulness of this lady from the Karen tribe.

Today let us remember the tiny things that turned into big blessings. Was it a smile that helped you gain strength? Was it a phone call that helped you focus on what is good? Was it a card that comforted you? Let the Lord know in a big way that you’ve been blessed. From within let our prayers pour out with huge gratefulness.

**** ****
Psalms 92:1-4
It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
and to sing praises to Thy name, O most High;
to declare Thy loving-kindness in the morning,
and Thy faithfulness by night,
with the ten-stringed lute, and with the harp;
with resounding music upon the lyre.
Thy Thou, O lord, hast made me glad by what Thou hast done,
I will sing for joy at the works of Thy hands.

Copyright 2009 Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home