Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Bible Challenge

First Published April 23, 2010

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

About 30 years ago Pepsi ® waged an advertising campaign called the “Pepsi Challenge.” A table was set up in a grocery store or public event. The consumer was offered two samples of soda, one Pepsi ® and the other Coke ®. The consumer was then asked to choose which was Pepsi ®. Now if you really knew the taste of one, or the taste of the other, you could fairly easily choose which was which. If you weren’t familiar with either, then choosing was indeed a challenge.

Making moral choices can be very similar: cheat on a test? Lie about my actions? Gossip? Steal? The real question we need to deal with is whether or not I’ve hidden God’s word in my heart.

The first part of this process is obtaining the Word. The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out. Proverbs 18:15. Crack open your Bible and read the words of our great creator. Play the Bible CD in your car. Sign up to receive memory verses to your email address. Have a family reading time. Ask questions. Pray.

Next we need to engrave it in our hearts. "And those are the ones on whom seed was sown on the good ground; and they hear the word and accept it, and bear fruit, thirty, sixty, and a hundredfold." Mark 4:20. Believe that the Word of God is authentic. We may lock in that belief by practicing it. Do for others. Pray for others.

Now when faced with a moral challenge, we may more easily recall what God has said. If all of this seems like a monumental challenge in itself, try starting with today's verse. Be encouraged to commit it to memory. Set your watch alarm and recite the verse periodically throughout today. You will be amazed at the results!

****
Lord, every day we face moral challenges. Your word has the power to guide me into choosing rightly. Help me to thirst for reading the Scriptures and practicing making decisions as I seek to do your will. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Copyright 2010 Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home