Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Weekend Warrior

First Published May 20, 2011

Blessed is the Lord, who daily bears our burden, The God who is our salvation. Selah. (Psalms 68:19)

Friday morning. Early. Too early? Exercise show is on. Must move it or lose it. Focus. Get shirt and shorts on. Stretch. Pick up the pace. Aerobic time. Sweat and cleanse. Focus on the rewards. What? The video says to do exercise every day? I’ll just double up 4 days into the weekend. Yes. Got to stay healthy. Got to focus. Workout.
**** ****
Give us each day our daily bread. (Matthew 6:11)

Okay, so I chose sleeping in over jumping jacks and toe-touches. I’ll catch up tomorrow. Besides, I’m in good shape. A day skipped won’t matter much.
**** ****
And He was saying to them all, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself,
and take up his cross daily and follow Me. (Luke 9:23)

I can’t get motivated again. This exercise thing was good for a while. It’s a lot of work. I’ve got other things to do. Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.
**** ****
Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; (Acts 3:19)

Wow, look at the scale. My clothes don’t fit. I feel miserable. But, I don’t want any help. Let me be.
**** ****
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.
And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…(Hebrew 12:1)

You mean I’m not alone in this? I don’t have to be a weekend army of one? Yes, I need to let God help me persevere.
**** ****
But, encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” … (Hebrew 3:13)

I hear you Lord. I pray that a brother or sister in the faith will help me to be diligent daily; to be consistent, and not be just a Weekend Warrior in any aspect of my life. Let their presence be a reminder that you will not leave me to handle challenges alone. And also help me to be there to encourage another in your name. Hallelujah! Amen.

Copyright 2011, Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home