Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, April 15, 2013


First Published April 15, 2013
                                                                Check Your Answers!

Isaiah 51:18
And the Lord will continually guide you…
Psalm 86:7
In the day of my trouble I shall call upon You, For You will answer me.
****
When I discuss the strategy for solving worded or applied math problems with my students, the basic list is always the same.  It also might be useful for solving life problems.

1.      Re-read the problem.
This tends to prevent hasty decisions, which can create more problems and compound the situation. Prayerfully ask for resolve.

2.      Draw a picture or diagram is applicable.
When faced with a moral problem, it might be good to write it out or talk to a trusted brother or sister in Christ. Blabbering about it on a social network is not a good idea. It’s a private or sensitive issue? Stand at the mirror and tell your image about what’s troubling you.

3.      Identify known and unknown quantities.
Separating fact from hearsay is really tough for us humans.  Be tough. Also, if you don’t know the facts, admit it.

4.      Set up an equation that explains the relationship between the quantities.
This is something we tend to do with our emotions.  A problem needs solving, so try to be clear headed.

5.      Solve the equation.
Sometimes there are several solutions to a life problem.

6.      Check your answer.
This is very important.  Does your solution measure up with your Bible?

Yup, most problems in life are complicated, involving unpredictable occurrences and actions of other people.  But we have hope that God has an answer, and if we look to Him first, he will guide us to the solution that will check!
****

Father, I come to you today with the problems to be solved.  Help me to be discerning, to solve them wisely, and to check my answers using Your Word.  In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.

Copyright 2013 Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home