Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Friday, April 20, 2018

Orange Crush

First Published April 20, 2018
 
There is a freeway interchange in Orange County, CA where Interstate Highway 5, California State Route 57, and California State Route 22 intersect. I first navigated this nightmare around 1977 on my way from college to the north to a hair modeling gig (another story for another time) at a hair products show at Fashion Island, Newport Beach to the south. The traffic was bad.  The accidents were bad. The confusing signs were bad. My headache was bad.

A year later when my then boyfriend Jeff planned to drive us to a Kappa Mu Epsilon Math Society party at Newport Beach, I related my horrifying experience. “Oh, you can easily bypass the Orange Crush!” he said. The what?
***
One of biggest problems I have with reading scripture inside and outside of the Bible is the context. The impact of the words at that moment may be squelched by my need to find out the “who, what, why, where, and how” surrounding the verse. But that’s those are important details for truly understanding scripture.

How can we understand God’s word better? The solution is simple. We just need to be consistent in reading, asking questions, listening, praying, and doing.  The real stinger word is “consistent,” and the Bible addresses this.

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the meditation of my heart will give you understanding. Psalm 49:3. Reading and listening to God’s word will give results.

Deuteronomy 11:18-19 is also wisdom for us as children of the word. Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

We can gain understanding of the scriptures. The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. Psalm 119:130

There are many references that address understanding scripture.  We need to stay diligent, focused, and opened to continually learning.
***
The Orange Crush is the name of where the I-5, Orange, and Garden Grove, freeways cross,” Jeff continued. I thought he was talking about the popular soda pop. I knew about the tasty Nehi Company product, but I hadn’t driven around Southern California much and didn’t know about the nick name given to the tangled mess of roadways also called the Orange Crush.
***
Lord, you know that I truly desire to understand your Word.  Help me to be consistent in study, clear in asking questions, quick to listen to wisdom, strong in communing with you, and confident in doing your will.  Thank you for those in my life who teach your precepts.  They hold a torch for your truth.  Thank you for your son, Jesus, who died on the cross that I may find peace and salvation.  Amen.


Copyright 2018 by Karen E. Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home