Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Friday, February 09, 2007

The Biggest Shoes

January 31, 2007
The Biggest Shoes

By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked. 1John 2:5b-6

When I was a little girl, I would have fun going to the closet and donning some of my parents’ coats, galoshes, and hats. I liked wearing my father’s shoes because they were so large (size 13 ½) and made a loud authoritative “clop, clop” when I tried to walk in them. To me, they signified my father’s strength, protection, and justice. And, though I’d never grow to physically fill his shoes, creating the same footprint as he, I’ve tried to follow his examples of kindness, good humor, and even temperance.

The apostle John writes this letter we call “The First Epistle of John” to Christians believed by early church writers and historians to be in Asia around Galatia around A.D. 85-95. Our text is early in the body of the letter and is meant to urge believers to focus on Christ’s example.

Christ himself spoke of what we should emulate. “You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right; for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you,” John 13:12-15. This means that we need to be humble and have a servant’s attitude.

Being humble as Christ was humble seems as difficult as me trying to clop around in my father’s shoes. It demands that we put others first. Yet, Christ continues, “If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them,” John 13:17.

Our desire to walk as Christ walked should prompt us to act with humility. Let’s begin today by asking God for a humble heart from which we may act with humility.

Oh God of the Universe, I fail trying to walk in your shoes. I force myself to DO what is right just because it is right. But you tell us through the words of your Son, that to walk as He did, I must take on a humble spirit. Help me to have humility that I may truly abide in you. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home