Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Zoom!

Philippians 1:9
And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment.
**** ****
Let me tell you about my RX-2. I’ve had this sleek little Japanese model for over ten years now and it still handles great! My technician says it’s doing fine, only needing to be fined tuned twice a year. My kids think I’m a little loopy about keeping up its glossy black sheen, but I’ve only had two dings and a small scratch. Actually they each want me to give the RX-2 to them! My black leather seat is worn only slightly, but the pedals are well worn, telling of the actual use I’ve gotten. The RX-2 has been in storage for several months, though. With the top up or the top down, hopefully very soon it will be out and I can once again enjoy its sweet sound.

American humorist Evan Esar (1899-1995) said, “Statistics: The only science that enables different experts using the same figures to draw different conclusions.” You’ve read my little description about my RX-2. Any questions about what you think I’m talking about? Are you sure?

It’s very interesting that two people can read the same verse in the Bible and each come to two completely different conclusions. I sometimes wonder how the Good News gets spread with so many different conclusions and interpretations out there. Well, actually, that is how things get accomplished. We pray, listen, learn, test, and conclude. When our understanding is challenged or unsure, then as before, we pray, listen, learn, test, and conclude.

Paul tells the Philippians the result, “…that your love may abound still more and more…” This love, which actually originates from God, is what will sustain us and bind us. It’s worth the effort. First, take the task to the Lord in prayer, then listen, learn, test, and conclude.

**** ****
Heavenly Father, Discerning your Word rightly is so very hard for me. You give me wisdom as I am capable of handling, but I desire to continue to grow. Brothers and Sisters read and study the same words, but come to opposing interpretations. Please Lord, through your grace, help me pray earnestly, listen intently, learn abundantly, test fairly, and conclude rightly. To your glory I want to grow closer to you and remain an ambassador of your Word. In Jesus’ name, amen.


You may find a likeness of my RX-2 at http://www.kawai.de/rx2_en.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home