Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Genuine

Published July 30, 2007

But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” John 6:68

****
For over 22 years my father owned a small grocery store. Nearly every weekend and holiday of my childhood was spent at the store. In fact all 8 of us kids worked there during our formative years. My father taught us many aspects of the business. The store first opened when I was 7 and my father taught me how to add fast, count back change, stock shelves, and do light accounting tasks. I was also highly exposed to money. I touched it. I counted it. I looked at it. I rolled it. I was very familiar with the genuine bill. So about ten years later, when a customer presented a fake ten-dollar bill to pay for his items, I knew right away that something was wrong.

Today’s verse appears in John’s account of the Gospels. Jesus and the twelve were in Caesarea Philippi. This was a city about twenty-five miles from the Sea of Galilee, and the spiritual environment included worship of the Greek god Pan and the Roman Emperor Augustus. It is here that Jesus tested the disciples with “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” and “But who do you say that I am?” Peter had spent the past two and a half years as Jesus’ disciple, listening and learning. He witnessed miracle upon miracle. He knew the Teacher as genuine. And while they were surrounded by pagan influences, he answered correctly, “…You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

As Christians, young, old, new, or mature, we should continue to seek revelation of God in our life. We must read, meditate upon, and study the scriptures so that we will know, really know our God. Then when false teachers and ideas surface, we have the assurance of discernment. We’ll be able to spot the counterfeit without hesitation.

Be Still and Know that I Am God.
Be Still and Know that I Am God.
Be Still and Know that I Am God.
Unknown

****
Dear Lord, though it is sometimes hard to know whether or not something is from you, I have your inspired word as a guide to help me know you. Calm my busy day and lead me to meditate and understand the scriptures. Reveal yourself, please Lord, so that I can discern rightly and have the wisdom to see the genuine You. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home