Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce


Matthew 19:14
But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me;
for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

Recently I was shopping at the grocery store and saw a display. Apple sauce was on sale. “Wow,” I thought, “this would be a great deal if my children were very little. They even have Low Sugar, Chucky, and Cherry Flavor varieties. I’ll pass since the kids are big. Hm, or maybe I’ll get some anyway since I haven’t apple sauce in years. Nah, it’s just baby food.”

Spiritual “apple sauce” is needed when we are new Christians. The simpler teachings and verses of scripture are all that some of us can handle at this time. As we mature, we need and should crave spiritual “meat.”

In 1 Corinthians chapter 13 Paul talks about how to mature in Christ through love. We may be familiar with the “Love is Patient…” passages beginning in verse 4. In verse 11 he writes, “When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child…” And I might add, “eat apple sauce like a child.”

How then, might we reconcile this message with Matthew 19:14? Well, one refers to knowledge, understanding, and actions. Whereas Matthew 19:14 describes of humbleness of the heart (See Matthew 3-4). So, as we grow and mature in the Word, we should keep a pure child-like heart.

As I continued shopping I recalled the joy of having baked apples as a child. My mother would fill the cores with cinnamon and sugar, bake, and when they cooled, my brother, sisters, and I would anxiously dig in with our graham cracker “spoons.”

I smiled and went back to the display. I put a jar of apple sauce in my cart and thought, “I’ll serve warm apple sauce with ham tonight!”

Almighty Father, your word tells me that I am to grow and mature and at the same time keep a child-like heart. Humble me Lord. Let my thoughts and actions begin with a humble spirit that I might receive the promise of Matthew 19:14. In Jesus’ name, amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home