Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Love

February 12, 2007
Love

Beloved, Let us love on another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7
One of the over used and misused words in our language is the word “love”. We use “love” instead of “desire” or “greatly enjoy,” as in “I love Chocolate ice cream.” We also say “I love it!” as a statement of agreement. Then there are several meanings of the word used to describe relationships. None of these meanings is the love which God bestowed upon us through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus. But, in our finite existence here on earth, there are some examples that may stand near the top.

My close high school friend, Margaret has a dear grandmother, Nana. The first time I met Nana, she greeted me with extended arms, gave me a big hug, and exclaimed how wonderful it was to finally meet me. I was surprised, since I had never been treated like that by a stranger before, so I was tongue tied. But, she had a genuine warm smile and twinkling eyes that put me at ease. She patiently engaged in a simple get-to-know-you conversation, and accepted me freely, without judgment. And this was just a one-time-only event. Nana participated in many ministries in her church. I have no doubt that wherever the Lord used her, his love abounded.

Today, over 30 years later, Nana and her husband Ed, are 92 and 91 years strong. Margaret says though health issues restrict Nana to a wheelchair, that they are still an example of love to everyone they meet.

As we meditate on I John 4:7, let us consider God’s love for us as THE example of the love we should have for one another.

Dear Lord, you are the very definition of love. But I have often trivialized it, lessening its value. Please show me ways to love without judging, and bless those who see you through my words and actions. I pray this in your loving Son’s name, amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home