Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Stress Management

March 16, 2007
Stress Management

Mark 6:49-51
But when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed that it was a ghost, and cried out; for they all saw Him and were frightened. But immediately He spoke with them and said to them, “Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid. And He got into the boat with them, and the wind stopped; and they were greatly astonished…

**** ****
Let’s see a show of hands. How many of you have heard of curbing stress and anger by counting aloud either from 1 to 10 or in reverse? Ah-huh, I see 5 gazillion731, 5 gazillion 732, 5 gazillion 733… Okay, I’d say a lot of us have heard this. Now, how many of us have tried this technique successfully? Wave real high! Hm.

Very recently I was trying to deal with lots of stress. Two extended family members had just died. And a co-worker of Jeff’s had died. And an old professor of ours had just died. And the copier at school was broken and I got to class late. And my kids were bickering when I got home. And I ran out of checks but not bills. And. And! AND! ARG!

I plopped on the bed. In my rapid breathing I said aloud, “God (inhale), what’s happening (exhale)? I know (inhale), there’s good from this (exhale). I am (inhale) blessed by you (exhale). I am (inhale) protected by you (exhale). God is (inhale) good (exhale).” Very soon I was calm and fell asleep.

Our verses particularly address the fear Jesus’ disciples had when they saw him walking on water from in a boat in windy conditions of the Sea of Galilee. Jesus’ not only commands the wind the cease, but first comforts the men with “Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid.”

How should we take courage in stressful circumstances? I think counting to ten may not work because of the meaninglessness of the words. God’s words are powerful. The name of God himself is powerful. “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe.” (Proverbs 18:10)

Today let us use God’s words to ease our stress, to calm our nerves, to temperance our anger. Call upon his name for comfort and he command the winds.

**** ****
O help me, Lord. I am stressed and frazzled. I call upon your word to calm the troubled waters of my life. Help me to trust that you are in control. Thank you, Lord. Thank you. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home