Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Map and GPS For Life

First published December 10, 2007

Psalms 119: 105-107
Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path. I have sworn, and I will confirm it, that I will keep Thy righteous ordinances. I am exceedingly afflicted; Revive me, O Lord, according to They word.
**** ****
A few years ago my husband and I traveled throughout the east, including our nation’s capitol, Washington, D.C. To help find our way around we brought our laptop computer with a map program and a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver installed. The GPS receiver is a cool piece of technology that uses four satellites, multi-spatial geometry, and a navigation technique called triangulation to tell the receiver where it is on the globe. Jeff had set up our itinerary ahead of time, so all we had to do was follow the instructions.

Every so often, we came across a problem. Perhaps street and highway names were not clear or non-existent as was the case 50 miles outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In D.C. we encountered construction and heavy traffic which forced us to take a detour. When we found ourselves off the planned route we relied on the GPS receiver to tell us where we were and the map program to tell us how to get back on track.

Here is an interesting observation. Evidence of God and his handiwork is seen everywhere. From DNA to the stars and planets, from close relationships to whole civilizations, the amazing proof of God cannot be missed. However, the only way to learn of his plan of eternal salvation is through his inspired, written word, the Holy Bible.

Today’s verses teach us a lot about what to do and what to rely on in life. Familiar to many, verse 105 says that the word is our modern day map and GPS program. It tells us where we are and how to get to our destination. Verse 106 is evidence that the writer of Psalms is confident in God’s word. And finally, in verse 107 we learn that when we are lost or off the path through our afflictions and trials, the word of God will restore us and set us straight.
**** ****
Thank you Lord, for providing your written word. It tells me where I am with respect to your plan. It tells me that I can trust in you through it. And it tells me that when I stray, it help guide me back to you. Help me to focus on this lesson and to always rely on your “map and GPS” for life! Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home