Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Perspectives

First Published June 3, 2011

Psalms 131:1-3
You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
**** ****
While I was on my way to teach a class I approached two coeds, one talking to the other rather loudly.

“I just don’t get it. People are just so into themselves, talking about themselves; on and on. They just talk on and…”

Stopped mid sentence, finally the speaker noticed me paying attention to his speech. I passed by the two along the walkway and spun on my heel when the silence broke.

“I just don’t get it.”

Part of the complexity of life involves our viewpoint or perspective. Yet we understand the idea of perspective. For example, one of the many first year assignments my friends in college majoring in architecture had involved drawing an object from different perspectives. It was interesting to see some of the vantage points drawn of plants, buildings, and people. All drawings are of the same subject, yet all of the views are different.

Another example involves an article from a parenting magazine I read decades ago. The author suggested that parents of babies and toddlers sit on the floor looking for things to get into. Her point was for parents to get a different perspective of the surroundings in order to help baby-proof a home.

My third example everyone can relate to. All of us once were children. I for one remember the many times I did not understand the actions of my parents. Sometimes I didn’t like it, but from their perspective, they acted accordingly.

We can never completely understand God’s actions. My own list of “why’s” seems endless. However, we can take comfort that his perspective is all encompassing, and we can make an effort to take perspective into account with other people. Prayer is the first and most effective way to gain the perspective of what someone else is experiencing. Secondly, be a good listener.

Today let’s pray that God will open our eyes to others’ perspective, giving us a deeper understanding of our fellow man.

Copyright 2011, Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home