Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Steps to Serenity

First Published Friday, September 9, 2011

Colossians 3:15a
“Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts.”

Have you been stung by cruel words by a brother or sister in Christ? Maybe someone has the gift of criticism. It hurts. Bad. But our Heavenly Father God revealed in the Scriptures a way to heal your seared heart. Consider the following steps to restoring peace in Jesus Christ. I am excerpting and paraphrasing from Dr. Ralph Wilson, www.joyfulheart.com/maturity/

1. Sanctified : Join the ranks of Moses, Job, Jeremiah, Paul, and Jesus
“We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.” (2 Corinthians 4:8-10)

“Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” (Matthew 5:11-12 NRSV)

2. Squelch the Sting: Don’t fester bitterness
“Love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. (Luke 6:35)

3. Serve Christ
“Render service with enthusiasm as to the Lord and not to men and women, knowing that whatever good we do, we will receive the same again from the Lord, whether we are slaves or free.” (Ephesians 6:7-8 NRSV)

4. Set a New Pattern: Encourage
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.” (Matthew 25:35)

*******
Dear Lord, This may not be the last time I am hurt by a fellow believer, but I have the assurance through the blood of Christ, that I can have serenity. Help me to heal so that your mercy and love may be evident in my life. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Copyright 2011 Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home