Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Spiritual Rhythm

First Published July 9, 2018

 
Rhythm. It’s all encompassing. There is rhythm throughout God’s creation. The earth rotates about the sun creating the cyclic seasons.  The earth spins about its axis giving us night and day. The moon is crucial, effecting the tide’s ebb and flow.
 
From within, our heart beats sending life giving blood throughout our body. We breathe rhythmically, inhaling air and exhaling carbon dioxide.  Our blood has been enriched with oxygen.
 
I think God made creation and us with rhythms for a purpose.  In those areas where we can make choices, rhythms are important.  We sometimes call these rhythms habits.  We make choices about our hygiene rhythms.  We make choices about our eating rhythms. We work and play with rhythms (schedules) in mind.
 
When it comes to our relationship with God, we might not be so rhythmic.  We pray spontaneously (when we want something).  We fellowship when it suits us.  We study the Bible when we have a writing deadline (I’m busted!)
***
Proverbs 22:17
Incline your ear and hear the words of the wise, and apply your heart to my knowledge;

So, how do we (okay, I) regain my spiritual rhythm?  First I must confess my slacking and bad time management and pray that the Lord will guide me to be a better steward. Then, I’ve got to start.  Maybe a jumpstart like a defibrillator would do the trick.  Total emersion in prayer and study may be needed to ensure a proper focus towards God’s will. A slowly accelerating and deliberate plan may be best for me.  None the less, I must start. 
 
How do I keep up the momentum?  I’m easily distracted and need reminders to keep me accountable. A friend might be helpful. There is also technology.  I set my phone alarm for two reminders. One goes off midday and the other rings in the evening. I can be diligent. I have faith.
 
Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
 
***
Dear Lord, My spiritual rhythm was fading, barely beating.  It seemed overwhelming to try to regain it. Through your word you promise that I can have faith.  Please help me to continue that faith and focus on revitalizing my rhythm, keeping it strong.  In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.


Copyright 2018 by Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home