Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Resolution Gone?

Proverbs 25:14 (NIV)
Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of gifts he does not give.

**** ****
When I submitted my first devotional for 2007 to George Bragg I mentioned in my email message that I had purposed to present two devotionals per month. I was tired of my flakiness and inconsistency in working on them. So I resolved to be more disciplined and focused about my time and submit two per month.

Things were going well until September rolled around. Suddenly there were other issues that seemed more pressing than to keep my promise. The further I fell behind, the worse I felt.

The Book of Proverbs primarily written by King Solomon tells of Do’s and Don’ts of God centered living. “The wise man” and “the foolish man” are the main subjects. It’s obvious that our verse may be categorized under the acts of “the foolish man.” An unfulfilled promise is like signs of anticipation without the product. Empty.

So, what is at stake when we don’t keep promises? Among men they are honor (Proverbs 3:35), good favor and good name or reputation (Proverbs 3:4), respect (Proverbs 3:21-22), promotion (Proverbs 22:29), influence (Proverbs 13:20), and dignity (Proverbs 31:25) to name a few.

This sounds rather bad particularly if we have made it a habit of not keeping promises. But there is good news in all of this. “Through love and faithfulness, sin is atoned for,” (Proverbs 16:6). The love and faithfulness is from God through his Son’s death and resurrection. We need to be assured that God is with us, confess our sin, ask for forgiveness, and ask for the strength to accept any punishment and to get back on the right track.
**** ****
Thank you, Lord for allowing me these past 7 ½ years to share lessons that I have learned in my life. Help me to keep my promises and to continue to contribute to this
devotional series. In Jesus’ saving name, amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home