Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Turning Wishes Into Hope

Romans 5:4-6
…Knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

**** ****
When my daughters were little they enjoyed watching the Disney animated classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. In this production Snow White sings a song called “I’m Wishing,” which relates her desire to find “Mr. Right.” She seems to be singing this lament to anyone, including the woodland creatures, who will listen. Though this is a make-believe story, it illustrates the difference between wishing and hoping.

Wishing throws our desires in any direction without the confidence that they will be granted, let alone be heard. The nice part about wishing, though, is that there is little risk involved. So, as little children, wishing didn’t seem all that harmful. Adults, even Christians, may through maturity of years know that wishing is futile. But, doesn’t wishing our trials, cares, and sins away sound great?

Fortunately, our Creator knows that we need a wishing factor with trust. Trust that our physical and material needs will be met. Trust that our burdens will be eased. Trust that our sins will be no more. Trust that for each “Mr. Right” there is a “Miss Right!” This is hope. It is firmly rooted in the love that God has for us, through the sacrifice of his own son, Jesus Christ.

And we may hope because of an assurance that God is in control. This is faith. Romans 5:1-3 ties faith with hope. Hebrews 10:1 does the same, “Now faith is the assurance of things hope for, the conviction of things not seen.” So our faith in God through Christ gives us hope.

**** ****
Dear God in Heaven, my childish wishing puts you out of the picture. There is no foundation in wishing, so it is the easy route. But you have a better plan. Faith through your Son gives me the hope I need to conquer my fears, trials, and sins. I pray that my faith remains strong so I may have the confidence that you are in control, ready to meet my needs according to your will. Thank you Lord. Thank you. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home