Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Our Spritual Window Pocket

First published July 28, 2008

I Corinthians 3:12-14
Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work.

**** ****
One of my favorite television commercials is for the Cracker Jack snack food (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwq_x9QsLzg) . This 1960’s dialog-less black and white advertisement involved a little boy with his younger companion at a beach boardwalk wanting to purchase a box of Cracker Jack. Barely able to see over the counter, the little boy empties his pockets to scrounge up enough coins to pay for his treat. The proprietor picks through the various items to collect the money. When he indicates to the boy that he is short a few cents, the boy puts a marble on the counter. Once the man is satisfied of its value, he sets a box of the anticipated snack on the counter. The little boy and girl then run off to enjoy their “candy coated popcorn, peanuts and a prize.”

I have always been fascinated by the items that came from the boy’s pockets including a yo-yo with unraveled string, a hanky, and a frog. Those items told a lot about the boy. He used these things often; well, maybe not the hanky! His pockets were really a window into his life. My small pocket book (purse) is a window also. I have the usual I.D., keys, various cards and photos, (very little) money, a calendar, and grooming items. More uniquely I have a collection of “Be Prepared” items such as needles and thread, Band-aids, topical antibiotic, dental floss, a pocket knife, antiseptic wipes, tissues, LED flashlight, antacid, cough drops, and ibuprofen.

What do I have in my spiritual window pocket? I surely have prayer access to God. I have his scripture, the Bible. I also have friends and spiritual leaders I can consult, along with innate abilities to help me learn and make decisions. But the big question is do I use what’s in my spiritual window pocket? Do people just see me pull them out once in a while? Do I have flashy verbal prayers? Do I volunteer at church just to be seen? Does my Bible still have that new book smell? What does my spiritual window pocket reveal?

Today let’s assess our spiritual window pocket and choose one area to actively improve for God’s glory. Get on your knees and really talk to God. Write a card to someone who needs encouragement. Crack open the word of God to read, study, and mediate. Rely on the true spiritual building materials and let our spiritual window pocket reveal the God of our salvation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home