Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

(Sniff, Sniff) Ah!

First Published January 28, 2008

2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are the fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;
**** ****
As the weather turns cold and the holidays draw closer I look forward to doing more baking. In particular, my family enjoys banana bread. I use my mother-in-law, Sue’s recipe that includes flour, sugar, bananas, eggs, oil, walnuts, baking soda, and salt. The assembled ingredients bake 1½ hours, so the aroma ends up making its way throughout the entire house. (Sniff, sniff) Ah!

The Lord God enjoyed the aroma of the burnt offerings given up by Noah, (Gen. 8: 21). He commanded Moses to write the book of laws, Leviticus that the Israelites had to obey. Many of these laws included sacrifices in the form of burnt offerings, part of the covenant God had with his people. Obviously this was an important part of having a relationship with God. But, burnt offerings apply to us today in a different way.

The fulfilled covenant of the New Testament by Jesus through his death and resurrection allows us to bypass the burnt offering sacrifice as described in the Old Testament. I John 2:2 says, “He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.” We can accept Christ’s selfless act done on our behalf; the purification of sin. This is an aroma pleasing to God.

During this holiday time of wonderful aromas, do you need to think about accepting what Christ has already done for you? If you are a Christian, consider sharing the good news of Christ to a friend using today’s verses along with some fragrant baked goods. Our decision for Him is a sweet aroma “…for we are the fragrance of Christ to God…” (Sniff, sniff) Ah!
**** ****
Thank you, Lord God for sending your Son that my sins might be redeemed. May my life reflect the aroma of righteousness through Christ. Help me to not stray away from your promises. I want to be a sweet aroma. In Christ’s name, amen.

Copyright Karen E. Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home