Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Friday, May 09, 2008

Mother's Advice

First Published May 9, 2008

Revelation 4:8b (NKJV)
…And day and night they do not cease to say, “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God, the Almighty, who was and who is and who is to come.”

**** ****
As the basis for a future article for Mother’s Day, my local newspaper issued a request for readers to send in the best advice they received from their mother. My mother’s advice, I thought, could easily fill a page. However, the best advice she has given me was the above verse for today in the form of the popular hymn, “Holy, Holy, Holy” written by Reginald Heber (1783-1826).

Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning, our song shall rise to thee;

Holy, Holy, Holy, merciful and mighty!
God in three persons, blessed trinity!

My mother would sing this hymn countless times during my childhood, and I always knew who and what God was: holy, almighty, merciful, strong, infinite, and omniscient. So strong was its influence that this is my favorite hymn and Revelation 4:8b is one of my favorite passages of scripture.

For this Mother’s Day consider remembering or even thanking your mother for the Biblical advice she taught. In giving birth and nurturing children, a mother’s Biblical wisdom is a special blessing from God.

**** ****
Oh Lord God Almighty, thank you for my mother’s advice. Her Biblical wisdom is a strong foundation in my life. In thought, words, and deed, help me to be that kind of mother to my children. This I earnestly pray in Jesus’ name, amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home