Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Friday, October 03, 2008

The New Bible

First Published October 3, 2008

It shall be with him and he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, by carefully observing all the words of this law and these statutes…
Deuteronomy 17:19

**** ****
The foolishness of my thoughts was obvious when I blurted out, “Really, I don’t want a new Bible!” “You need a new one. Look at this,” my husband retorted. Oh okay, let me press stop and rewind.

Just seconds before, the worship service ended, and Jeff politely offered to carry my Bible. Unfortunately I forgot to zip up the cover and pages flew every which way. We’re not just talking about sermon notes and bulletins, but also pages from my Bible. Hundreds of them decorated the pew and carpet.

“You need a new one. Look at this,” my husband retorted. “It’s just getting old. It’s nearly…” “Thirty-two.” “Yeah, well I’ll get you a new one.” Ugh.

**** ****
I sat down with my new Bible. I wanted to brood over what is different: the size, the color of the cover, the print font size, a shorter concordance, and the version. Hmph! (I didn’t get it.)

**** ****
“May I look at your Bible a moment?” a lady next to me in Sunday school asked weeks later. “Oh, this is a nice one with BIG letters!” “Oh, my hubby bought me a new one,” I beamed. “And it has a pretty blue cover!” (I still didn’t get it.)

**** ****
More weeks later I opened various word document files containing devotion ideas. One file read “The Word of God, value of the scriptures.” Hm, I thought, I don’t think I can develop this idea anew. I looked at my new Bible next to the computer keyboard. I opened it. (I finally got it.)

It shall be with him and he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, by carefully observing all the words of this law and these statutes…
Deuteronomy 17:19

Copyright 2008, Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home