Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Journey Home

First published April 8, 2009

Matthew 26:39 (NIV)
“Going a little father, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.’”

**** ****
When I was about 5 years old, I remember a very hard journey. Our car broke down downtown near the library, and my mother, three-year old brother, one and a half year old sister, and I were stranded. My mother put my sister and some packages in the stroller, and my brother and I walked on either side holding on the bar. Our journey began. The first, oh say, block or so didn’t seem hard. It was like an adventure, seeing the storefronts, people and cars. But I soon grew tired. The sun was setting, and I was getting hungry.

My brother also grew tired and graduated to riding in the basket in the stroller, behind my sister, while the packages were atop the canapé. I was sad. My feet began to hurt. It was now dark and we were away from the lit downtown area. I shed a tear. My mother held my hand and we walked on.

My mother, I presume, was tired of pushing both my brother and my sister. And by my calculations many years later, she was most likely pregnant with my next sister. We stopped and made a switch. My mother now carried my sister and the packages, and I pushed my brother in the stroller. My burden was too much to bear, and I whimpered. My mother said that soon we would be home. The packages went back to the basket, and she helped me push the stroller. One and two-tenths miles later, we arrived home.

**** ****
This is the time of year when Christians typically focus on the events and suffering of Jesus during the last days of his life on earth. The Passion of Jesus often begins with Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsemane. Jesus’ journey home to heaven was long and hard. The betrayal of Judas, the arrest, the trial, the scourging, and the crucifixion, were no more than horrifying. But Jesus handled His journey home with God the Father right there for him.

We can follow Jesus’ example from Matthew’s account in today’s verse. When faced with trials we need to 1) humble ourselves, 2) communicate with God, 3) ask honestly our desires, and 4) accept His will over ours.
**** ****
Oh Father God, in our trials we have hope through the example of your Son, Jesus. We lean on his words from the inspired scripture to guide us through the rough times. Thank you for your Son, in whom our hope could not have been made possible. Amen.

Copyright 2009, Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home