Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Quality Versus Quantity


First Published March 31, 2014
 
A few years ago, I ran into a family from my old church.  I asked the Mom how her family was doing and found out that they no longer worshiped at the old church.  I suggested they visit my present church, inviting them to the Easter Service.  The Mom asked cautiously how big my church was.  Well, of course that was a relative question, and begged to be answered with another question.  “How big is “big?”  She didn’t like any bigger than our old church.  Hm, I think the average attendance was about 100 people.  So, I guessed that my church of 200 people was too big. 


She explained the benefits of a small church: A preacher that knew your name, personalized Bible classes for the children, manageable expenses, a neighborhood minded focus of evangelizing people.  Big churches, she claimed, only cared about big splashy projects and big money. I agreed that was a serious temptation, but that churches with larger budgets are able to support entire missionary families, sponsor scholarships for college, and be a visible presence in the community. 


We ended up agreeing that the issue was quality versus quantity.  Any sized church lacking wisdom would not find favor with God.

****

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

****

When reading today’s verse, one cannot help but think of exuberance and excellence.  Paul wrote this last portion of his letter to the Christians of Philippi as part of a final sendoff of encouragement. What he described was Christ’s life.  We are to seek and live a life that is good and rich; one of excellence; no matter the size of our church.

 
Father, I exhort you! Thank you for the words of your servant Paul.  Help us to strive for excellence as he described to the Philippians.  Let your church of any size be worthy of praise! Amen.
 
Copyright 2014 by Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home