Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Friday, October 09, 2015

Do-Overs


First Published September 3, 2014


Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

My flight lesson was cancelled due to weather (Southern Californian June-Gloom). So, I did some errands, had lunch with my hubby, crocheted some, did some Sudoku puzzles, did some yard work, watched some reruns with my daughter, did a load of laundry, fixed dinner, caught up (almost) with my Bible reading, and yakked on the phone. Ready to sleep and almost in Dreamland, I faintly heard my hubby Jeff ask if I paid a bill that day as I had promised. What? Oh NOOOOOO!

It was too late. There would be a penalty for a late payment. What was done (or not done) was done.
***
The wonderful thing about Jehovah God is that through his son Jesus, we are forgiven for our sins. Still, here on earth, we are expected to pay retribution for errors. I think the wrong approach is to expect to be forgiven from earthly victims of our mistakes. Instead, accept the consequences and ask the Lord to help you get through your punishment. That’s were God’s work is most evident in our lives.

***
Lord, I’m so sorry that I forgot about the bill. I am nervous about the consequences of my error. Please engulf me with your Spirit to erase my fears, yet also give me strength to face to penalty. Thank you, Jesus. Amen.

Jeff called the billing company. As it turned out, this bill was due during the weekend, and they had a grace period that allowed me to get the bill paid for without penalty on Monday.
***
Today’s verse is one of my favorites. Through God’s plan, I am renewed. I can have a spiritual do-over in my relationship with the Father. “And” He gives me strength to get through the earthly consequences of my actions. If you know the familiar tune paired with this scripture, I encourage you to sing it to someone today. Let them know what it means daily to have Jesus as your Savior.

Copyright 2014 by Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home