Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Friday, October 09, 2015

In(side-Out)struction

                                                      First Published June 16, 2014 
                                                              
  
Proverbs 4:2 
For I give you sound teaching; Do not abandon my instruction. 

I was up early to get ready for work and took a peek into the back yard.  Oh no, the water was left on all night. I gasped and ran downstairs and out the back door.  The faucet was stuck full on, so I deduced that my son Reuben thought he had turned the water off. Being in a rush to help with future situations, I scribbled a note and tacked it on his bedroom door: 

“FYI: Lefty Loosey; Righty Tighty 

Late that night when Reuben got home, I asked if he got my message.  “Sure.  I didn’t understand what it meant!” 

Ever since I started to read my first Bible given to me as a little girl by my mother, I have encountered verses that confound me.  It seemed like the more I studied the Scriptures, the more confused I became.  It took time, God’s time, for me to understand some (and I emphasize SOME) of the Scriptures.  But still, it would be nice to have a user’s manual for the Bible! 

*** 
“Well, it means that to loosen or turn on a faucet, go left. To tighten or turn it off, go right.”  “Okay, whatever.” 

You’d think that being in the education business I’d know what it takes to understand the written word. But when it comes to the Bible, God has his own ideas.  So sometimes I have to have the scripture thrown directly at me in the form of a life lesson to understand it. Or maybe I’ll never understand it. 
*** 
“I was giving you a mnemonic device to help you remember how to turn off the water. You left it on last night and the patio got flooded.”  “Ohhh. Why didn’t you just say so?” 

Lord, I know your ways are not my ways.  But your teaching is good and just.  Your Bible is what I can trust to live by.  I try to listen, study, pray, and learn.  But, it’s tough sometimes to understand you.  Please help me be patient and to open my eyes wide when the time is right.   
*** 
Why didn’t I just say so?  Because MY lesson hadn’t yet been learned. The next night I left the water running and flooded the pool! 

Let us continue to seek answers; continue to pray; continue to live God’s wisdom; and continue to learn.
Copyright 2014 by Karen Vaughn


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home