Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Box of Colors


First Published October 5, 2016

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking,

correcting and training in righteousness



When I was in Kindergarten I remember getting a box of 8 large Crayola ® Crayons. I liked staring at the array of choices with which I could “color my world.”  I also learned the names and spellings of the colors: black, violet, blue, green, red, orange, yellow, and brown.



In First Grade I got another box of 8 crayons, but this time, they were smaller, to match my better dexterity.  I now could concentrate on finer lines and more detail in my coloring projects.



When I received my box of 16 crayons I was ecstatic! I could now use new colors carnation pink, blue green, blue violet, red orange, red violet, white, yellow green, and yellow orange. I felt so much more mature being able to express myself using a wide range of colors.  It also became more confusing to discuss colors with others.  Did orange mean orange, yellow orange, or red orange?



By the time I received a box of 24 crayons in sixth grade, I wasn’t doing much coloring, but I was awestruck over the new colors.  But still, that wasn’t the end. Crayola had the 48 and 64 count boxes with incredible colors like Orchid, Olive, and Magenta.



And still, as exciting as I was to be able to describe my visual thoughts using so many colors and combinations of colors, there was increasing problems of using these colors in conversation.  I remember someone insisting that there was no such thing as the color “olive.”



My point is that some of scripture is broad based like “God is love” (I John 4:16b).  Other verses are more precise like “Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.” (I John 4:8).



We should expand our “crayon box” by reading and studying the scriptures. This allows us to keeping in mind that some are simple with a wide range of interpretation, while others are more specific. Today, can we think about explaining the Good News simplistically with three “crayons”?  Can we also expand our palette to include more “colors” and more detail?  Let’s try it!



Thank you God, for the wonderful colors you have given us in this world!  Help us to realize the simplicity of the primary colors of the Gospel as well as the intricate hues of your Word.  Also Lord, please give me the patience and understanding to accept the simple three-color verses as well as the enriched multicolor words inspired by you. I humbly ask this in your Son Jesus’ name, amen.

Copyright 2016, Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home