Karen's Devotions

This is a selected collection of my devotions e-published on Daily Devotions, Journey Christian Church, Irvine, California; George Bragg, Editor. To join the mailing list, email George, gbragg@cox.net.

My Photo
Name:

As a 25+ year homeschooling vet, post-cancer, math prof, mother of five, master's track and field athlete, and certificated private pilot, I have a lot to share about what God has done in my life. In 2000 I began writing devotions as something to try when it seemed like accoustic pianists were becoming an endangered species at church. I have since found great blessings from writing and sharing. God is good.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Thankful-List

First Published 11/23/15
 

                                          

Proverb 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding;

In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

***

As I get older, the longer my Thankful-List becomes.  More and more people and circumstances are integral in encouraging me, comforting me, helping me, teaching me, and blessing me. God has done amazing things and I am grateful to the Almighty Creator.

 

There are, though, some important elements of this process leading to thankfulness…trust and faith based on that trust.  Really, this is a big issue.

 

If we are having a tough time being thankful, back up.  Let’s look at trust.  Trusting something is based on evidence.  Ok, you might be thinking this is a cyclic pattern of trust based on thankfulness based on trust, and so forth.  You can observe or read about the trust others have in God. All you have to do is look for it.

 

In the category of hymn writers, there are hundreds of stories of faith. Fanny Crosby,  …just to name a few.  These stories are powerful.  But if you need evidence from the Here and Now, ask your pastor, Sunday school teacher, or Senior Saint to point out a Sister or Brother in Christ who has a story of faith. Listen and be empowered.

 

Now, we need to look deeply into our own lives.  Recognize that we do have our own stories of faith.  Yes, little ol’ us. We can be assured (trust) that God is working in our lives.  We can be thankful. We can create our Thankful-List.

 

Colossian 2:6-8

As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,

rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught,

abounding in it with thanksgiving.

 

***

Dear God on High, When I think my thankful-list is short, help me to listen to the testimony of others, help me to look at my life and increase my trust in You, help me solidify my faith that You will allow people, as instruments of your truth, to do amazing things.  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
 
Copyright 2015 by Karen Vaughn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home